Sunday, May 13, 2012

mother's day (lyn)

Alexander won’t be home until next weekend, so I won’t be with him this Mother’s Day.  And I won’t be with my mom until Tuesday.  But I am getting to spend the day with Valerie and her family.  We meet at her club in Long Island for Mother’s Day.  There are 10 of us.  The dress code is “elegant casual” which I translate to mean “no jeans.” 

After lots of consideration, I wear a black Jil Sander pantsuit (that I had always thought was navy, until I look at in in the sun today and realize it is black).  This is one of the suits I recently had altered; it was bought in 2006 at Bergdorf’s, when I was working and had money to spend on Jil Sanders.  Today is the first time it’s being worn.  It’s not exciting, but it’ll pass the dress code.  I could also wear it to my next Board meeting, if I only had a Board.

We all meet at the club around four.  The food is exquisite.  First, we spend in hour having appetizers.  There are four stations:  one with all fresh sushi and sashimi being served by a sushi chef; one with all sorts of hot appetizers; one with cold cuts and salads; and another one with fresh fish, including smoked salmon and shrimp.  I eat too much of everything, and secretly admire the restraint of just about everyone else in our party.  Before entering the beautiful main dining hall, everyone reluctantly agrees to be in one picture.  “But please hurry up; this is so embarrassing,”--- a sentiment voiced by more than one.


Dinner is a served goat cheese salad followed by a buffet of filet, lamb shops, and fresh turkey; three kinds of potatoes; and three vegetable choices.  The dessert table would fill the perimeter of my apartment.  I have two lamb chops, a few slices of steak, a dollop of creamed spinach, a bit of mashed potatoes, and tastes of several desserts.  I am so full by the time we leave it’s hard to imagine ever being hungry again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment