Wednesday, October 13, 2010

a morning visit (lyn)

I decide not to go to my Weight-Watcher’s meeting today.  Too much stuff to get done at home.  Since I’m not going, and Karen rarely gets to go, I call her and offer to watch her two gorgeous kids.

Sam and Becky arrive around 9, accompanied by enough toys and food to last a month.  They plop down on my bed and within seconds have become totally immersed in the exploits of Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go.  I only hear from them during commercials when they say, “I want that.  I want that,” referring to the latest Disney offering.  At two and four, the world is all theirs.  Anything is possible.

After a couple of shows I turn off the TV and suggest some Lego-building activities.  We gather on my living room, dump out the box of Legos (reminding me of Alexander’s young-boy mastery in this field), and begin creating our structures.  Soon after, Karen arrives back.  We talk a bit and then she suggests putting the Legos back in their carrying case and leaving.  That’s when Sam casually says, “I think I’ll stay awhile more with Lyn.”

I love the innocence of kids, and their total oblivion to what others may think.  This is what I want, is basically their mantra.  And on kids, it can be totally endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment