Monday, October 25, 2010

pumpkin stew (m)

Fall is my season.  It awakens my senses.  I love the sights of the leaves turning color and falling ever so gently from their branches.  The smells of fire coming from people's chimneys.  The sounds of kids playing soccer or football.  The feel of a stiff breeze on my face.

When I was a kid, my mother couldn't get me inside for dinner.   That's how much I liked playing outdoors in the Fall.  My favorite thing to play was "Pilgrim."  I would pretend to be a Pilgrim wife, making stew for my family.  I had an old, large pot and a used wooden spoon.  I would add sticks, twigs, dead flowers and rocks to my stew and stir while singing a made-up Pilgrim song ("Twas the night before Thanksgiving").  I would have made a fine Pilgrim, living the simple life.

On Saturday, I went to WW class.  I usually go on Fridays, but I had a meeting Friday morning for a project I'm working on and couldn't go.

I weighed in...down 3.5 pounds.  I took my usual seat in the back of the room (near the door in case I get bored and want to leave).

Today's recipe tip was How to Make Pumpkin Stew.

The leader, Barbara, holds up a freezer bag  with stuff inside that looked like seaweed and cans and in a very loud voice says, "Everything you need is in this bag!  How simple is that?  Huh?  How simple?"

Here's the recipe:
2 cans of chicken broth (like College Inn)
1 can of pumpkin (get one that is just pumpkin, not a bunch of other ingredients)
Trader Joe's salsa with sundried tomatoes and flaky peppers
Trader Joe's packet of spices (sundried tomatoes and more dried peppers)
1 bag of frozen broccoli (this is the seaweed part....the broccoli looked overcooked and nasty)

Throw everything together in a large pot and stir frequently.  It will be good to eat in 30 minutes on medium heat.

Honestly, I think I would rather eat my Pilgrim Stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment