Wednesday, November 17, 2010

another try at soup (lyn)

Given my lack of real success with the squash soup, I decide to make another kind of soup, again, with inspiration from Karen.  Karen, who is a very good cook and outstanding baker, recommends buying the pre-packaged soup vegetables.  Since I have no cooking intuition whatsoever, I like to eliminate any possibility for error.  I buy the package suggested by Karen; it includes carrots, leeks, parsnip, onion, and fresh herbs.  (I wonder if I've ever made anything containing parsnip and leek before?  I think not, as I don't even know what these roots taste like).   I wash, peel, and cut up all the vegetables (slightly more work than just dumping in the peeled and cut up squash).  I then add chicken brother, simmer until the vegetables soften, and use my new best friend...the emulsifier.  The end result is fine, though nothing special.  The soup is filling, has no points, but is totally devoid of any real flavor.

Alexander comes home and sees it and starts to gag.  “That’s not for me, is it?” he asks, somewhat rhetorically. I beg him to try a taste, but even that is too much for him.

Well, there's one good thing.  Unlike my one-point light baby bell cheeses or 3-point mini Haagen Dazs mango sorbets, I needn't worry about this soup disappearing from my fridge.  I have total control over its longevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment