Tuesday, November 9, 2010

squash soup (lyn)

The other day at Costco I bought two pounds of peeled and cut-up squash.  I had intended to make a low cal vegetable dish, but this plan was derailed when I stopped by Karen’s and tasted the squash soup she had on her stovetop.  It was so good.  And, it was easy to make.  And, it was zero points.  And, I had all the ingredients at home.

The sell-by date on the squash is tomorrow so today I decide to make the soup.  I’ll even get to use my emulsifier, the item I had to have last December but have used, I think, only once since.  I carefully measure all the ingredients.  I am not a good enough cook to improvise anything.  I even weigh the squash as the recipe calls for 12 ounces (I have two pounds).  I know I don’t like squash enough to have it for both soup and a vegetable, so I give the remaining 20 ounces or so to Karen.

Within a half hour my soup is done.  It tastes nothing like the sweet pureed orange bisque that I had had at Karen’s.  Mine is bitter (Too much onion?  Not enough nutmeg?  Too little squash?).  And more brown in color than orange.  It's an ugly looking soup.  I eat it anyway.  Zero points are still zero points.  The rest I put in the fridge for another day.  Maybe.

Alexander comes home and sees it.  His first and only reaction seems to be one of horror.  “Whatever that is, I’m not having it.  Ever.”  He needn’t worry.  I’m sure I won’t be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment