Sunday, November 7, 2010

a sunday smorgasbord brunch (lyn)

I have a date with a man from Idaho. 

Carl is originally from DC, has an apartment in New York, and is mobile.  He is also a fascinating man.  Humble.  Smart.  A great storyteller, with a million good stories to tell.  We meet at noon for brunch at Aquavit, an elegant Scandinavian restaurant.

On the spot I decide to stop counting points for the rest of the week and secretly feel liberated.  I mean really, how would I even begin to estimate the points for four different varieties of herring: creamed, with mustard, pickled, and matjes?  Or the lingonberries that taste so good over the Swedish meatballs, even if they are meant for the pickled cucumbers.   I probably could have figured out the roast beef,  but I have so little of it that the associated points would have been insignificant. I know that lox is low in points, and I hope the same is true of the different salmons I eat today, including poached, gravlax, and smoked.  The shrimp salad and eggs with caviar are also good, and beyond my expert ability to track.  I take some of the beet and potato salads, but skip the more mundane green one.  The mini-desserts are all interesting, and I only take a few.  I drink two mimosas and remain lucid.

It’s an exotic offering of foods, coupled with an intriguing banter of conversation.  A perfect Sunday brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment