Monday, November 1, 2010

who knew? (lyn)

I’ve never made spinach before, but in an effort to spend less, I am trying to cook more.  At the local Farmer’s Market this weekend, I picked up some spinach.  It was only $3 for a gigantic bag, and of course, it was recently picked (or harvested, or whatever is done to get spinach from garden to market).

Alexander and I both like this leafy green so I was excited to make it.  I was rushing out early to meet Robyn for a screening so I prepared Alexander’s dinner before leaving (chicken and spinach).

My son eats enough for ten people, so I made a lot.  About ¾ pound of chicken (I had a ¼) and lots and lots of green leafy spinach.  I steamed it.

Five minutes after putting all the spinach in the steamer, I went to check on it.  About three tablespoons worth of green sat in my steamer.  Where’d it all go?  Yes, I knew the spinach would shrink, but this much?  Oh well, next time I’ll know.  Either that, or I’ll stick to steaming a non-disappearing green vegetable.  We like broccoli too.

No comments:

Post a Comment