Thursday, November 11, 2010

birthday boy (lyn)

My baby is 18 today.  The cliché about how quickly time flies is true.  I can vividly remember holding Alexander in my arms for the very first time.  Eric was with me and I was exhausted and ecstatic.  The miracle of birth cannot be understood until it’s experienced.  

Were it not for pictures showing the change, it'd be hard for me to believe that 18 years have passed since Alexander was born.  But as these pictures clearly show, it has.







Because the semester ends next Friday, projects and tests and papers are in abundance right now.  Alexander has responsibly chosen not to go out tonight.  We were going to have a special dinner out tomorrow night with his friend Sam who turned 18 yesterday (Sam is Shari’s son) but Sam is sick with the flu so we’ve had to postpone our celebratory dinner until next weekend. Alexander’s choice for tonight is to eat at home, and order in sushi.  So this is what we do.

I figure that the effort involved in making a cake would be appreciated, but not enjoyed as much as the cake I can and do buy at Agata.


There is nothing Alexander wants (I offered to get him an iPhone but he thinks it’ll be too much of a distraction), so instead I buy him a few small items under the theme, “Eat, Drink, and Have Fun.”  The latter of which he’s had too little of lately.

So for Eat, I get him a box of high-end Martine chocolates and a $25 gift certificate to his favorite ice-cream place, Sedutto’s.

For Drink, I buy a $25 gift certificate to Starbucks where he can get his favorite frappuccinos. 

And for Fun, I get him a $25 iTunes gift card and 4 movie passes to Loew’s.

It’s a nice, low-key evening in.  I can’t help but wonder where Alexander will be next year on his special 19th birthday, 11-11-11. 

No comments:

Post a Comment