Thursday, November 18, 2010

sam is 21 years old today (m)

Twenty one years ago today, I gave birth to my firstborn son.  The pregnancy was problem-free except for 41 weeks of vomiting.  Definitely a boy, everyone said.

I remember sitting on the blue chair in my bedroom looking out the window on a beautiful Saturday--ten days past my due date.  For one scary moment I panicked thinking the pregnancy wasn't real and that I had just gotten fatter.  I called up my good friend Mary and told her I couldn't stay in the house another minute.  She was a reluctant accomplice to my escapade.  We went shopping at Conran's in Cambridge.  I bought six blue and white trays.  I have no idea why.  I didn't need trays and they weren't even on sale.

During the outing at Conran's, I went into labor.  At 7:40 p.m. that evening, Sam was born.  I will never forget seeing that scrunched up little face for the first time. It literally feels like it all happened yesterday.

My boy is a junior in college now.  He's grown into a first rate human being and I am so proud of the man he has become.  We will celebrate when he comes home for Thanksgiving break.

Twenty one years have gone by in a flash.  Kids mark time like nothing else.

Through all the changes over the years, the biggest one for me personally is that I weigh less than I did before I was pregnant with Sam.

Some things, however, haven't changed.  The blue and white trays are still here and they make me smile every time I look at them.






No comments:

Post a Comment