Saturday, November 20, 2010

the strip house (lyn)

In celebration of our sons turning 18, Shari and her husband Stewart and I take our two boys to dinner.  Their birthdays are one day apart.  We go to a downtown restaurant called The Strip House, known for their strip steaks.  The last and only time I was here was in October of last year with John.  I remember loving the steak and feeling thin (though I was 30 pounds heavier than I am today, but heading in the right direction).

Keeping with the strip theme, the restaurant walls are decorated in siren red, and covered with black and white seductive photos of women from the 1900’s.  We arrive in time for our 9 o’clock reservation and it’s clear that whatever financial woes the country is suffering from has not touched this establishment.  It’s bustling with activity, every table is filled, and additional diners are waiting or just hanging out in the bar area.

We get a great table.  Although some time is spent perusing the menu, we all know we are getting the 16-ounce strip steak (except for one who orders a filet), french fries, truffle creamed spinach (a major hit), and one piece of cheese cake that is big enough to feed the five of us for dessert. 

Even though I am clearly not counting points (I begin the meal with two pieces of warm dinner rolls, both with butter), I am still weight-watcher conditioned.  I eat only half the steak, despite easily being able to finish all of it.

We put a moratorium on discussing anything related to college, and still have much to talk about.  It’s a great night with good friends. 

And I even get to repeat the culinary aspect of tonight’s dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment