Tuesday, February 8, 2011

celebrating abbey's birthday (lyn)

When my sister Valerie was a freshman in college she met Abbey.  For them, there were no uncertainties. They just knew.  As soon as my sister graduated in 1975, they got married.  I’m sure no marriage is perfect, but theirs certainly seems it.

Abbey was named Abraham at birth, but his mother could not bring herself to call him that.  So for a while, he was a baby without a name.  But then someone came up with Abbey, and that’s how he’s been known ever since.  Like his three sons, he is about one of the most likeable and kind people I know.  He is ambitious, hard-working, smart, successful and generous.  He is also an incredible father and family man. 

When Adam and Jason were playing lacrosse for Johns Hopkins and Princeton during the same three years, my sister and Abbey attended every game, even if it meant splitting up and getting on two different planes. (Abbey's 87-year old very youthful mother is the same way.  Last week we were all supposed to celebrate Abbey's birthday but Valerie and Abbey were out of town.  They were pretty certain that bad weather might prevent them from returning, but Abbey's mom wanted to be in NY, "just in case."  Despite everyone begging her not to fly in from Florida, she did.  She arrived around 2:30, found out that Valerie and Abbey would not be making it back in town, and was on a plane back to Florida at 3:30).  When Michael won a chance to have an ad he created and starred in air on the Super Bowl this past weekend, Valerie and Abbey flew to Dallas to support him (unfortunately he was not one of the three finalists).  And when Alexander was applying to colleges this past fall, Abbey was always available to lead him and offer advice.  “What do you want your sweatshirt to say?” he’d often ask.  It helped eliminate quite a few schools.

This summer, we were having dinner one night with my other sister, Jean, and her family.  Jack, their 13 year old, was being questioned about his girlfriend, when it became apparent that his current girlfriend was not his first.  “How many girlfriends have you actually had?” someone asked.  When Jack answered, “Three,” (I think that was the number), Abbey quipped, “That’s more than I’ve had in my whole life.” 

Abbey has a good sense of humor but he’s often overshadowed by his three sons who are hilarious (and my sister who is very witty). So when Abbey does say something that causes everyone to laugh, he is so proud.  I think that’s when he’s at his most endearing.  

On February 2, Abbey turned 60.  I am glad that both he and Jim (Jean’s husband) precede me by a month (I am so not ready for my big b-day).  Tonight, 10 of us go out to celebrate.  We go to Park Avenue Winter (its menu changes with the seasons, along with its name, décor, and outdoor awning).  Unfortunately, Alexander cannot come as it is the end of the trimester, and he is trying hard to do very well, as his grades could influence the outcome of college decisions.

We are seated at a big round table in the main dining room, surrounded by winter white walls and big snowball light fixtures.  The food is amazing; from the salmon tartare appetizer to the huge veal chop (I take home half) to the incredible french fries to the multiple desserts we all share.  I eat with no regard for a Weight Watchers weigh-in tomorrow morning.  The real joy, of course, is being with everyone, sharing stories, and laughing. 

Abbey, at 60, is as handsome and winning as he was when I met him at 20.  But so much more impressive, now that I really know him.

No comments:

Post a Comment