Thursday, February 3, 2011

tonight's dinner (lyn)

So after I have my taxes done I head over to Zabars to purchase my favorite 4-points-per-piece 7-layer chocolate cake.  While there, I shop for dinner. 

Zabars has a large, reasonably priced prepared food section.  I see something interesting:  a salmon loaf.  It looks like an orange meatloaf.  I ask the surly guy behind the counter if it's any good.  "I have no idea; I've never tried it," he responds.  Despite the loaf's questionable appearance and lack of endorsement, I get one.  It's wrapped, price-stickered, and handed over.  Next I walk over to the Bakery section and get Alexander a big beautiful berry muffin.  While there, I see the brioche rolls and imagine them filled with something good.  I think more about the salmon loaf and imagine the conversation I’ll be having with Alexander if I purchase it.  It would likely begin with, “That looks disgusting; I'm not having it.  Make me pasta.”  I play out the conversation in my mind and then sheepishly return to the surly counter-guy and tell him I’ve changed my mind.  He doesn’t care.  I buy two pre-made tuna burgers to put between the brioche rolls, and feel more confident that Alexander will be pleased with my purchases.

I get home and find an email from Hazel. 

I love reading your blog but I do have to wonder about something, and I say this with no sarcasm, mean-spiritedness, etc.  You are a brilliant and creative woman.  You like and appreciate good food whether it be a hot dog or some dish with an unpronounceable, unrecognizable name.  When I read, however, of your cooking disasters when you try new dishes, it never ceases to surprise me that you think there is a chance in hell that they might taste good!  Ick!...Now your pork chops (she’s referring to a simple WW recipe for honey-mustard pork chops), that is a great recipe with no turnips, parsnips, or spaghetti squash.  I loved it.

Dinner is a major hit.  We eat while watching episodes from the first season of Modern Family. I love laughing with my son.   

No comments:

Post a Comment