Friday, February 11, 2011

bad theater with a good friend (lyn)

Alexander was up most of last night finishing a Spanish paper.  He comes home from school exhausted, exhilarated and hungry.  Two slices of pizza later and he’s good for the night.  I quickly down ½ of a lobster pot pie that I had bought from Fresh Direct.  It was good, but not worth the $14 and 11 points a serving.

Meet Jill at an off- off-Broadway theater on a deserted westside street.  Two other theaters are in the same building, and as we watch the play, we are also entertained by the loud music from the theater on the floor above.  The play is sparsely attended, but even so, a tall couple sits directly in front of us.

When I was at Tufts, I remember one my favorite courses was on playwrights.  We probably read a play every two days or so.  That’s where I was introduced to Luigi Pirandello, an Italian dramatist.  I honestly don’t remember the content of his plays, but the name of one of his more famous works is Six Characters in Search of An Author.  I think of Pirandello’s play tonight as I watch The Director.   It’s a 6-person play about a Svengali-like director who pushes his actors to perform by playing questionable mind-games on them. Six Characters in Search of an Audience comes to mind as I look around and count 13 theatergoers along with Jill and me. 

Even at $3.50, bad theater isn’t worth it.  But spending time with a good friend is, at any price.

No comments:

Post a Comment