Wednesday, January 5, 2011

comfort food (m)

My Cousin Patty hasn't met a problem that couldn't be fixed with food.  When she heard my mother died, she called, her voice cracking and offered her condolences.  Then she got to work.

Next thing I knew, I had 4 containers--vats, is the only way to describe them--of beef barley soup, a large cooked ham, a tray of eggplant (must have weighed 10 pounds) and her super duper chocolate chip banana bread (which she makes with commercial grade, oversized pans).

My neighbor, Sheryl, made a beef stew and brought rye bread (light rye, she's blonde) and butter. 

Kim, a skating mother, sent over a pasta dinner with meatballs and garlic bread and homemade cookies.

Patty, not to be outdone, sent over Wave II which was a whole chicken pot pie (in a large pan) and another tray of eggplant.

My godmother came up from Connecticut with homemade pizzelle (wafer cookies), brownies, a large cheesecake and 2 dozen Bruegger's bagels and six tubs of cream cheese

My husband said he never ate so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment