Wednesday, January 19, 2011

the pick lady (m)

When my two sons were young boys, they would often ask where I was going any time I left the house. I would try to explain in the simplest possible terms. A business trip to London would get distilled to "I'm going to London to see the Queen." Then I would show them a picture of the Queen, Buckingham Palace, etc so they would get the picture. This need to know extended to local places and people. The electrologist was known as The Pinch Lady ( I even brought them to a couple of appointments with me) and the woman who did my facials was known as The Pick Lady (they were horrified when they realized what goes on in a facial).

I used to get a facial once every 4-6 weeks. My skin looked amazing. People even commented on it. Clear, smooth, radiant. I went regularly for about 4 years and then stopped abruptly in 2008 when I had my dental implants. The thought of someone touching my face on the upper left quadrant where I had the 5 implants was more than I could bear. Even after I healed, I didn't resume treatments just because I fell out of the habit.

Today, I went back for the first time in almost 3 years. My friend, V, inspired me to go back as her skin looks fabulous and she sees this woman every month. That, plus the fact that Yelena (The Pick Lady) sent me the nicest sympathy card, spurred me to action.

This morning, when I showed up for my appointment, Yelena was waiting by the door of the salon. She beamed when she saw me and I was happy to see her, too.

I got into the salon and before I took my down coat off (I look like the Michelin Man in it), Yelena shrieked, "You look like a totally different person from 3 years ago. Your face is a totally different shape."

I believe I will be coming back on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment