Wednesday, January 5, 2011

with a little help from my friends (m)

The days after my mother died will be etched in my brain forever.  Such an outpouring of love and support.  I was..am..overwhelmed.

My closest friends (in alphabetical order)...Abby, Lyn, Mary, Susan and Veronica...were there for me throughout the process.  Abby and I were supposed to have lunch the day my mother became sick.  Abby flew home to California that night, called repeatedly to find out what was going on, and flew back to Massachusetts for the services.  I'll never forget that kindness. 

Lyn and Veronica showed up at my door on Thursday with an offer to "do anything you need."  Little did they know that they would be wrapping all my Christmas gifts (thank you, Veronica...you did too good a job...people knew I didn't wrap the gifts) and Lyn put together a photo album for Sam from his Australia trip (it was his main gift for Christmas, thank you, Lyn).

Susan, my oldest friend, rallied the troops from my old neighborhood and childhood which brought great comfort.  She calls everyday to check in on me.

Mary did errands, including a trip to Fedex with me, where she had to fill out a bunch of forms because I was so dysfunctional. 

A neighbor, Joan, sewed a button on my coat to wear to the services.  Veronica was appalled that I couldn't sew my own button on my coat.  Joan also made runs to the grocery store and brought Veronica wrapping paper so she could wrap "properly"  ( I just bag 'em and tag 'em).

Neighbors and relatives brought food.  Floral deliveries came every day for two weeks.  Fresh fruit from Florida from J's parents sustained us for 10 days.  Cards are still coming.

A few hundred people attended the wake and funeral and luncheon reception.  It really brought tremendous comfort.  People I used to work with and haven't seen for several years came.    A friend from high school read about it in the paper and came.  I hadn't seen her in 37 years.  I was blown away.

What really touched me were the kind notes from some of you who wrote anonymously on the blog.  You made me cry and you touched my heart.  Thank you.

I know I will be fine as long as I have my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:49 PM EST

    Welcome back, we've missed you,have been thinking of you and sending good vibes every day during this difficult time in your life. Wherever she is zooming around the universe, your mother must be smiling and proudly tracking your many accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete