Wednesday, April 6, 2011

one last 60th birthday dinner (lyn)

I’m getting ready to meet Gail in Soho.   Alexander looks at me and asks where I’m going.  “Balthazar,” I say.  “Gail is taking me out to celebrate my birthday.”  “Still?,” he asks.  It’s a legitimate question.

I’m the first to arrive and already this popular French bistro is buzzing with activity.  I’m seated and Gail comes a few minutes later.    Her entrance causes heads to turn.  She is tall and stunning and wears a Wolford black top with cut outs on the shoulders.  She looks impressively and tastefully sexy.

“I read that we all need zinc in our diet, and do you know what food is highest in zinc?  Oysters!”  I love oysters and so she orders a dozen along with champagne.  A beautiful combination.  Next we split a warm goat cheese and caramelized onion tart.  These items alone make the perfect meal.  I don’t need the steak frites, but have it anyways.  All of it.  And then, when the waitress says there is a strawberry rhubarb tarte with ice cream special for dessert, well, I have to have that too.  It’s a splendid meal and my last big one in a while.

Gail was my first boss at Gillette when I started there in 1981.  I was 30 and she was 27.  I think I learned more from her than I did at business school.  She taught me how to write, how to structure business arguments, and how to position  products.  She was also my biggest advocate.

Our relationship is different now, and better.  It’s no longer a common interest in hair spray that dominates our conversations.  We still talk of business challenges, but also talk of aging parents, a great husband (hers), a terrific kid (mine), and so much more. 

I am lucky that Gail is back in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment