Monday, April 4, 2011

an unusual find at costco (lyn)

Zelia drops me off at Costco while she runs over to Fairway.  I go to get my cart and there is a woman next to me screaming into her phone.  “Don’t yell at me.  I have enough to do.  I’d like to see you accomplish in a day what I’ve done already and it’s only 11:30,” she says to some poor soul on the other end.

We enter the store and she heads straight to Customer Service, bypassing the Costco check-in police, who run after her to make sure she is legit.  I’m heading to the same place.  This woman continues talking on the phone as she places four return items on the counter.  She ignores the clerk helping her.   So rude, I think.  Finally she hangs up and says to no one in particular, “My husband can be such a pain. “  And then she smiles and becomes human. “I guess that’s one of the few benefits of being single,” I say.  Immediately she hands me her card.

I don’t have my glasses on so I can’t read it, so I ask her what it says.  “I’m a matchmaker,” she proudly tells me.  Wow.  I’ve never met a matchmaker before.  Then she suggests I contact her.  “Oh, I don’t know,"  I say, “I might be a little old for your services.”  “Why, how old are you?  40’s?”  I tell her my age and she genuinely looks astonished.  I’m not even wearing much makeup.  (I can hear Valerie saying, “See, I told you that you should always look your best when you leave the house; you never know who you’ll meet.”).

I google this woman when I get home.  She’s everywhere.  In Wikipedia.  On ABC News.  In Forbes.  Credible sources describe her as both a Rockstar and a Manhattan matchmaker extraordinaire.

It’s amazing what you can find at Costco.

No comments:

Post a Comment