Tuesday, April 5, 2011

this may be obvious but... (lyn)

When Alexander was a freshman in high school, he aspired to be the class clown. Not exactly what I had in mind.   When Alexander came home with a C- on a test, his response was, “Everyone did badly.”  When I left the house to run errands he said he’d be working.  When I came home, no work had been done.  I became something I never thought I’d be.  An annoying, nagging mom. 

I got a software program that limited Alexander’s online activity (once I found out he was on social networking sites until 4 or 5 in the morning).  It didn’t matter.  I paid him for good grades.  That didn’t matter either.  In fact, nothing I did mattered.

That summer, Alexander went to Chile.  He came back changed.  He decided he wanted to get into a good college, and began working hard.  These past few weeks have affirmed that his hard work paid off, although he still regrets freshman year.  “Without it, I probably would have gotten into…”

This afternoon I bump into an old friend I haven’t seen since last summer.  Our kids were classmates at the same elementary school.  Last time I saw her she commented on my weight loss, and I immediately launched into the benefits of Weight Watchers.  She told me she had just started, and I wished her luck.  Today I see her and she looks the same, maybe even heavier.  She suggests coffee.  We “walk” to the local Starbucks and it is impossible for me to slow to her pace.  A very old woman on a walker passes us.

She tells me that she is still on Weight Watchers but that recently she’s slipped a little.  I don’t believe her.  At Starbucks I get coffee and she gets a coffee with a slice of pound cake.  “I know I shouldn’t have this,” she says sheepishly.  I want to say, “You’re right, you shouldn’t,” but of course I don’t.  By saying nothing, I feel like I’m enabling an addict.

Unlike getting into college, where you can work hard and still not get into your top choice school, WW is a guarantee.  Follow the program and you will, with absolute certainty, lose weight.   But you have to want it.  Like Alexander in 9th grade, he wasn’t ready.  Whatever his reason, he didn’t yet have the passion to make the necessary changes.  He wasn’t mature enough to envision the rewards.  Perhaps the same is true of my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment