Sunday, June 5, 2011

one walk, two parades (lyn)

I finally schedule a much-needed massage at Asia Tui-Na Park.  I discovered this place six years ago and haven’t been in about two.  It’s a small, no-frills, massage place, where for $85, you can get a 90-minute,  first class massage by tiny Asian women with the strength of sumo wrestlers.

I decide to walk the 2.5 miles there.  I begin on 79th and Madison, and work my way down to 28th Street.  Along the way I stop into Wolford's where they are having a private sale.  I know this because I received an invitation. There are no big window signs shouting 50% off.  But I know.  So I go in.  Big mistake.

A half hour later I’m back on my walk.  First, I need to fight my way through 30,000 yarmulke-clad boys and young girls, all marching in the Salute to Israel Parade.  I’ve never been a big fan of parades, and definitely don’t like having to compete for sidewalk space.  But finally, around 57h Street, the sidewalks open up.

I have my little nano cranked up and am walking at a good pace.  Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas keep me moving.  But around 40th Street, I see people wearing headdresses and waving flags.  It’s another parade. This one is for Philippine Independence Day, and runs from 23rd to 40th Street.

I wonder what city office approves two parades, both on the Upper East Side, for the same exact day and time?

I finally make it to my appointment.  Asia Tui-Na Park is not a fancy place.  Only curtains divide workstations, so I get to hear the conversation of the man next to me.  Fortunately it is brief.   “Please go slower.  And don’t forget my feet.”

Amy, my small masseuse, has amazingly powerful hands.  Massages here do not feel good.  They hurt.  A lot.  I leave feeling sore and will wake tomorrow feeling even more sore.  But it’s nice to be unknotted.

I take the subway home.

No comments:

Post a Comment