Sunday, February 26, 2012

oscar night (lyn)

Since I was old enough to watch TV, I have watched the Oscars.  When I was very young, I would stand in front of a mirror and practice my response as they announced my name as winner of the Best Actress Award.  I did the same for the Miss America pageant.  I’ve always been a closet geek.

I’ve fortunately outgrown the fantasy of winning an Oscar, but my interest in the show has never diminished.  Tonight, like last year, I invite some friends over to watch the broadcast. 

I spend the day cleaning the apartment, making lemon bars, preparing the arugula for the salad (which simply means washing it), and ridding my refrigerator of fattening pastries (I toss a piece of carrot cake, a chocolate croissant, an apple tart, and a cinnamon swirl breakfast pastry).  I arrange the glasses and plates (I decide not to use paper), the flowers (a dozen pink and white roses), wash and dry my hair, and await my six guests.

Shari arrives before everyone else so she can put her signature lasagna in the oven and prepare her famously delicious homemade garlic bread.  She is an amazing cook and more than oversees the salad of arugula, portabella mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and roasted pine nuts.  Her finishing touches make an ordinary salad spectacular.

Corinne brings an amazing homemade guacamole with chips.  I think I eat about six avocados worth.

Janice comes with string beans and a spinach ravioli pasta salad.  Pam brings fresh fruit and a fabulous chocolate mousse cake.  Ellen and Zelia bring wine.

I have to beg for a photo of the group, with a few arguing strenuously against having their picture taken.  In the end, after much cajoling, the group poses for a photo, and Pam gets the coveted job of photographer.


The Artist is the night’s big winner, taking home five awards, including Best Picture, Director and Actor.

No comments:

Post a Comment