Wednesday, December 1, 2010

costco or bj's? (m)

Got a free trial offer from BJ's.  I had been only once before and didn't see much difference between the two and stuck with Costco.  That was before I joined Weight Watchers.

I could give you an elaborate list of what's similar and what's different (BJ's has a card section--birthdays, holidays; Costco's book section is much better.  BJs lets you buy cold cuts in quantities as small as 1/4 lb.  BJ's has Perdue cooked turkey breasts which are out of this world; Costco only has cooked chicken, no turkey).

However, I'll cut to the chase and tell you the real difference which I believe contributes to Costco's being more popular with the masses: Free samples of food.  Costco wins, hands-down. 

On any given day and particularly on weekends, Costco samples at least 8-10 items, all tasty, all fattening.  At least a full day's worth of points just in the samples. 

BJ's, on the other hand, samples fewer items and much less appealing ones.  On my most recent excursion there, they sampled Captain Crunch cereal.  Dry cereal.  An old brand.  Are you kidding me?  That same day, Costco was serving up things like spinach ravioli--whole raviolis and chocolate truffles.  BJ's "dessert" that day was a squirt of cream in a can. 

BJ's is less fattening than Costco.

The decision is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment