Tuesday, December 7, 2010

leftovers (lyn)

Shari doesn’t like leftovers.  She’s an amazing cook and tosses everything she makes if it is not eaten.  It could be an elaborately prepared veal roast or a simple pasta dinner.  It doesn’t matter.  If it’s not eaten on day one, it’s not eaten ever again.  Not only do I not share this point of view,  I often find cooked food better on the second day. 

On Sunday night, I took home half of my strip steak.  As I was asking for a doggie bag, Jill (Abbey’s sister), who recently joined Weight Watchers and quickly dropped 15 pounds, offered up half of her steak as well.  “I didn’t touch it.  I cut the steak in half when it came, and no one is going to eat it tomorrow.”  I said sure.  Valerie looked at me and rolled her eyes.

Last night’s dinner was delicious leftover steak, none the worse for the extra day in the fridge. 

Today I get an email from Meredith.  She had dinner with a friend last night and they each ordered 3-pound lobsters.  Today she has broken out with a rash over her torso; it appears she’s allergic to shellfish.  So she asks if I want her three leftover lobster tails.  She has an appointment near my house and can drop them off.

I make a big lobster salad for dinner.  It's perfect.

I love leftovers.  Especially when it's steak and lobster.  


No comments:

Post a Comment