Friday, December 10, 2010

rough day (lyn)

8:15 am
Around 2am this morning, my stomach explodes.  By morning, I feel totally cleansed and ready for a colonoscopy.  I don’t know if it were the dinner I ate, the almost-two glasses of red wine, the reality that my neighbors are really gone, or the countdown until 3pm today-the time when Penn will post their Early Decision outcomes.  I can’t remember ever being so nervous.  A lot of kids heard on Thursday from Wash U, Cornell, and Columbia, and many were disappointed, even those with exemplary grades and board scores.

4:20pm
Alexander comes home from school. Together we sit in front of the computer.  He logs into the Penn website and begins reading, “The Admissions Selection Committee has chosen to defer our decision….” He walks out of my room.

Tomorrow will be a brighter day, and we are both okay.  I have no doubt that Alexander will end up in the school that's right for him.  It's just going to take a little longer to know what that school is.

No comments:

Post a Comment