Wednesday, December 8, 2010

assume I'm a writer for consumer reports (lyn)

It’s the holiday season and with companies all competing for consumer dollars, one would think that service (in addition to price) would be an important distinguisher.  So for anyone who cares about these things, here is my one-person experience with, and assessment of, six  different companies.

ZAPPOS
The Problem
In mid-October, I buy a pair of La Canadienne clogs with shearling lining and 21/2 inch heels. I feel tall and thin in them, and, they are fairly comfortable.  But after only a few times wearing them, I notice that the shearling on one of the shoes is becoming threadbare.  

The Solution
  • I call Zappos.  It takes only a couple of prompts to get to a real English-as-a-first-language person.
  • Zappos replaces the shoes with a new pair.
  • I receive them about 12 hours after making my call.
  • I’m not charged for the replacement shoes.
  • Zappos emails me a free shipping label to return the original shoes.
The Rating
Highest possible.  Can’t think of one thing they could do better.


APPLE
The Problem
I make a 60-page hardcover photo album for Tim and Karen who sadly are leaving the US after five years here to return to Ireland.  I take pictures of all four of our doorman and include their names underneath their photos.  Two names are missing.  I email Apple (there is no phone number to call) telling them of the problem.

The Solution
  • Apple acknowledges receipt of my email and promises to get back to me within 48 hours.
  • In less than 24 hours, Apple emails me and tells me they will credit my account for the entire cost of the photo book ($85).
The Rating
Outstanding and thoroughly surprising (I expected much less).


LE CREUSET
The Problem
Over the past few years, I’ve accumulated three enameled cast iron products from Le Creuset.  Although heavy, I love cooking with these items.  In fact, I believe the steaks I now make are made better by the cast iron skillet that can go (and does go) directly from stovetop to oven.  But I can’t get them really clean.  Black spots have accumulated on the sides and bottom and I cannot get them off, despite serious scrubbing and soaking.  I’ve tried everything, from Bar Keeper’s Friend to Le Creuset’s own cleaning product made specifically for enamel cast iron items.  I even boiled one-part-Tide-3-parts-water for 7 minutes, as the company recommends.  My kitchen smelled great but the skillets remained unchanged.  Le Creuset offers a lifetime guarantee on all their products and so I call.

The Solution
  • It takes three days to reach someone.  I call and can only get voice mail.  Someone calls me the next day.  I miss the call and call back.  They call me the next day.
  • I speak to a helpful CR rep with a nice South Carolina accent.  She tells me I can send my products in for evaluation but, “Unfortunately we cannot pay for that.”
  • I pack up my 3 products and ship them back.  It costs $38.40; they are very heavy.  I hope the box I found in our building’s basement is strong enough.
  • Le Creuset will inspect my products and decide the solution.
  • It will take 2-4 weeks.
The Rating
Verdict withheld, pending resolution, but so far the process has been painful and expensive.


AMAZON
The Problem
About three weeks ago I order a book for Alexander’s Stat class that he needs “tomorrow.”  The book never comes. 

The Solution
  • I call Amazon and in less than a minute I am speaking to a real person.
  • He apologizes and agrees to overnight a new book to me.
  • He doesn’t charge me for the replacement.
  • He tells me to call them if the original book ever arrives.  It does, about three weeks later. 
  • I call Amazon and reach someone in India who speaks heavily-accented English.
  • We get disconnected, but he surprisingly calls back.
  • Unsolicited, he tells me that he will issue me $10 off my next order.
The Rating
I expected the second book not to be charged, but I didn’t expect Amazon to overnight it to me.  I expected the free label, but still, it’s nice to receive it immediately on request.  But I didn’t expect the surprise $10 promotional discount on my next purchase, from the outsourced customer service rep with whom I kept shouting, “Can you hear me?  Hello, are you still there?”  Or,  “I’m sorry, I didn’t understand one word you just said.”  He showed more patience and understanding than I did. 


BLOOMINGDALES
The Problem
I lost my favorite bracelet this past spring (a Roberto Coin small chic and shine toggle bracelet in white gold).  It is insured so I re-buy it.  I wait 12 weeks for it to arrive from Italy.  It arrives in mid-November and instead of the small bracelet, Roberto Coin sends me the very small size.

The Solution
  • Bloomingdales takes back the bracelet and re-orders it.  They had correctly ordered the first one; the problem was with Roberto Coin. 
  • Vincent, my favorite salesperson (whom I’ve known awhile) offers me a 10% discount saying, “That’s all I’m allowed to do,” but suggests I talk to his manager if I think that 10% is not enough.
  •  I go to the store to see Lynn, the manager.  She could not have been nicer.  She says she’ll talk to Vincent and get back to me. 
  • The next day I got an email confirming the 20% discount and my account is credited.
The Rating
Solution is fair; everyone was very nice; but I shouldn’t have had to negotiate (although in truth, it was less a negotiation than a request).


AMERICAN EXPRESS
The Problem
I accumulate reward points if my bill is paid by the 4th of the month.  This past month I was one day late and my points were forfeited.

The Solution
  • I call Amex and it takes about 10 minutes to get to the right person. 
  • 30 minutes into the call and I’m offered “a one time lifetime waiver” where my points can be re-installed without paying the $29 fee. 
  • I unsuccessfully argue that since I had electronically sent my payment in on time, (I didn’t know that electronic payments take up to 48 hours to process) I should just be given the points back without having to use my one-time lifetime waiver. 
  • My customer service rep won’t budge.  I ask for a supervisor. 
  • Another 10 minute wait and finally I'm connected to a person, but the result is the same.  I ask for a manager.  I’m told, “One will contact you within 48 hours.”  I wait 4 days and hear from no one.
  • I call back.  After 4 minutes on hold, I’m disconnected and hear, “If you’d like to make a call….” 
  • I call back and get someone.  But I'm starting the whole process from scratch.  There's no record of my conversation from a few days ago.  And a manager was going to call me back?  Ya, right.
  • I explain the situation to the customer service rep and she transfers me.  8 minutes later I get a supervisor.  I need to reveal my mother’s birthday before she’ll even talk to me.  She then says she needs to investigate my problem before she can forward me to a manager.  “Do you mind if I put you on hold?”  I say, "Well, yes, actually I do."  She just repeats the question again as if she hadn't heard me.
  • She comes back and offers me the “one time waiver” I was offered last week.  I ask for a manager.  She sweetly says she’ll connect me then sends me to the Operator, where I started.
  • The Operator senses my frustration (which is not difficult) and connects met to the Executive Offices.
  • Finally, I get Jessica, who understands what good customer service is.  She reinstates the points as a courtesy (not as a one time lifetime waiver).  I am thankful, but really, this should not have been so difficult.
The Rating
The entire customer service team should be re-trained at Zappos.  Either that, or clone Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment