Saturday, December 4, 2010

date with a younger guy (lyn)

Sam and I are seeing a screening this afternoon for Toy Story Three in 3D.  Although I’ve known Sam for a couple of years, this is our first date.  It’s been planned for weeks.  We decide to have lunch separately. I grab a lox, ww cream cheese, and 100 calorie bagel before leaving (now 7 points, not 3).

Sam is a great date.  He’s very cute.  Energetic.  And lots of fun.  He’s affectionate too.  Everywhere we walk he wants to hold my hand.  While it’s true he doesn’t ask many questions about me, I’ve come to believe that is not unusual among males.  Even though he’s not well educated (forget college, he’s not even attended elementary school), he is instinctively bright.

As we are leaving the small screening room, I notice that my sunglasses are missing.  I’m looking around the small theater that is already filled with people there for the next screening.  Two women see me searching and tell me that they saw someone pick up a pair of sunglasses that were left on the couch outside the theater, try them on, and put them in her purse.  They are not comfortable identifying her.  I announce to the packed theater that I’ve lost a pair of black sunglasses.  I see people looking around their seats but no one finds them.  The women who saw the other women take them are now appalled that the woman has not volunteered her find, so they identify her.  “She’s the one in the front row wearing a big purple hat.” 

I approach the woman.  “Excuse me, “I say, “but two people saw you pick up a pair of glasses and put them in your purse.  Maybe they are not yours.”  Without argument she hands over my glasses and lamely responds, “Oh, I must have thought they were mine.”  I’m appalled at her duplicity.  Meanwhile, Sam is ignoring all the drama and instead, is playing around with the beautiful blond Disney rep who is in the lobby.

I’m so relieved to get my glasses back that I’m not even disappointed when Sam prefers taking a bus home, despite my offer of a taxi.  But I know he doesn’t have much money; like me, he is not working.

I think this will probably be our last date for a long time.  Sam is moving to Ireland next week.  He doesn’t mention anything about keeping in touch.  I’m sure that in 20 years, when he is 24, he’ll be breaking a lot of hearts.  Today he broke mine. 

I’m really going to miss him (and the rest of his wonderful family).



No comments:

Post a Comment