Sunday, May 29, 2011

150 candy bars (m)

Harrison and his friends host an ice skating show to benefit The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, a summer camp for very sick children.  Since I screwed up the 50/50 raffle last year (I kept the wrong part of the tickets....no names, no phone numbers to contact the winner), they put me on supplying water and refreshments to the skaters.

Go to Costco and buy granola bars, fresh fruit and water.  And a bag of candy--150 pieces of M&Ms (plain and peanut), Almond Joy, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Twix, Milky Way and Snickers.  All my favorites which was a stupid thing to do.

The show goes off without a hitch; the kids raise $10,000 for the second year in a row and I clean up the locker room.

They didn't touch the candy.  There I am, alone with a bag of my favorite candies (not counting the Lindt 70% dark chocolate with Orange).  There's no one in the room, no camera to see me.  I have not eaten since noon.  It is 9:45 p.m.

Dilemma, dilemma.

I pack the candy in a bag and reach for a mandarin orange.  The kids want to go to The Olive Garden (the only place open at this hour).  I have ice tea and grilled chicken and vegetables.

There was a time when I would have eaten 15 mini candy bars in less than a half hour.

Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment