Monday, May 2, 2011

I know it's just a number, but... (lyn)

I get a call that the two dresses I picked out on April 7th are ready.  I go to the showroom to pick them up, hoping they will fit.  The head designer is not there, but her assistant is.  “We got a call from the stores that the size 6 you ordered is running small, so we had the dresses made in a size 8."  Two incompatible thoughts immediately run through my head.  The first is, I’d love to walk out today with these two gorgeous dresses.  The second is, I don’t’ care how small the size 6 runs, I don’t want to be a size 8.

I take the two dresses down the hall to the single-person bathroom to try them on.  I put on the first one.  I easily step into it.  It hangs on me.  Not even close to fitting.   I show the fashion assistant and he immediately agrees, “No, that dress clearly is way too big.”  I try on the second dress and the result is the same.  "We'll have to re-size them."

I come home empty-handed.  I’m disappointed but not nearly as disappointed as I would have been had the dresses fit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment