Saturday, May 28, 2011

my brother phil's diet (m)

When he was a kid, my brother Phil got chubby during puberty and stopped eating.  For weeks.  My mother was beside herself.  Picture an Italian family dealing with a kid who won't eat anything.  My grandmother was called in with the heavy artillery (homemade meatballs, sauce and ravioli) but he wouldn't budge.

I remember eating a Fudgsicle in front of him and he didn't flinch.  It would be like a tourist trying to make one of those guards in front of Buckingham Palace laugh.  Nothing.

Over the years, Phil has generally maintained his weight.  He looks normal, not overweight at all.

A few months ago, he decided to shed a few pounds. 

Now remember, this is the guy who has maintained his weight by eating only every other day.  He decides he has to "change it up" and switch to a new plan.

Hummus. That's the plan.

He eats nothing for breakfast, carrots and hummus for lunch, and hummus and more vegetables for dinner.  If he wants carbs, he'll put hummus on a sweet potato or have hummus on Stacy's Pita Chips.  He's like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who used to spray Windex on everything (from windows to bug bites).  This is the food equivalent of that.

When he came to my house for Easter, he went through a Costco-sized tub of hummus.  Garlic hummus.

Last night, I saw him at my niece's graduation party.  He's lanky.  Tall and thin.  Down 20 pounds in 3 months. 

Hummus.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment