Friday, May 27, 2011

the 2nd nicest compliment I've ever had (m)

When I was at my thinnest, sometime around 1983, I bought a pink blouse that had thin spaghetti straps and beads on the front.  I bought it to wear with black pants.

I tried the blouse on and stood in front of the mirror in my parents' bedroom.  I was so absorbed in checking myself out that I didn't even notice my grandmother who had come around the corner and saw me. 

We surprised each other. 

Nonnie stopped in her tracks and exclaimed, "Ah, M, you look like an angel!"

You cannot believe how many times I've relived that moment in my mind over these past 28 years.  It was the best compliment I've ever received. 

Today, one of my nieces graduated from Harvard.  My brother J held a dinner party for her.  I wore a white skirt, the black Ralph Lauren ruffled top and the sheer black sweater (back from the cleaners) and dress sandals.

I volunteer to pick up Aunts X and Y and get to their home a little ahead of schedule which they never expect could happen.

I ring the doorbell and Aunt X opens the door.  She takesk one look at me and says, "Oh...you look beautifulYou really, really do."

Now, I have two compliments to treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment