Saturday, May 14, 2011

I buy a mini-skirt (m)

Friday the 13th.  Sunny, mild, gorgeous.  My masseuse forgets about my appointment with her so I troll around town, killing time until my next appointment--a business meeting with former colleagues.

As I walk the streets of this quaint but stylish town (think New Canaan), I decide to check out the Eileen Fisher store.  Walk in and almost walk out because of the sales person to customer ratio (almost 2:1).  I notice an overweight saleswoman and head towards her section of the store.  I figure she won't judge me as harshly as the others might.

She asks if she can help me and I say I'm just looking.  I don't really need anything.  She leaves me alone, for which I am grateful.

I turn and see a section of markdowns.  I head there.  On the very end of the rack is a short, black, jersey skirt.  I hold it up. Certainly looks big enough.  Not too long, either.  Good travel skirt given you can roll it up in a ball and not worry about ironing it.

I bring the skirt to the dressing room and try it on.  Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles, it fits!  I am wearing my white tee-shirt and this black skirt, which hits me about in the middle of my knee.   From there down, my legs look good.

The heavy saleswoman says "knock knock" on the curtain (cute) and asks if she can get me anything.  I tell her I need an opinion and not to send in her skinny friends.  She laughs and peeks around the curtain.  She looks as surprised as I am.  "Wow.  That looks good!"  I don't know about the wow part, but the skirt is slenderizing. 

I ask if she has a sweater to go with it as my other one is too big.  She pulls a simple, long, thin, black sweater.  Now I look at the whole thing:  black sweater, white tank tee-shirt, black skirt.  An outfit.

I tell her I will take the sweater (not marked down) and the skirt.

I get home and take my purchases out of the bag.  Guess what the tag says on the skirt? It says "mini-skirt."  Seriously, if I had seen that, I never would have tried it on.

You, too, can get this look. Go to Eileen Fisher and check out the "Foldover Mini-Skirt in Washable Stretch Crepe."  Retails for $158.  I got it for $79.

Mini-skirt.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment