Wednesday, May 11, 2011

some good advice (lyn)

Wake up.  Don’t feel like going to weight-watchers.  Not after Mother’s Day and last night’s benefit.  But I need to go every month to maintain my Lifetime membership, so I do.  I step on the scale. 122.2.  Not too bad, considering. 

The discussion today is on non-supportive friends and family.  I’m pretty lucky that I have nothing to add to the conversation.  My friends and family have all been remarkably supportive.  But that’s not the case for everyone.  One young girl tells of how her family has made her feel bad about her weight her whole life.  “They make fat jokes.  They watch what I eat, and then they whisper amongst themselves.  I can say something to my parents and my aunts, but how can I tell my granny that I don’t like this?”  People offer suggestions.  One incensed woman says, “Just tell her that if she keeps it up you won’t visit her anymore.”  The rest of the group finds fault with this approach.  But then someone adds, “I think you should strike while the iron is cold.”  Once again,  I’m glad I came.

No comments:

Post a Comment