Friday, May 6, 2011

overheard (lyn)

Today is my last day in semi-hibernation.  My droopy hair is looking progressively worse as the days pass.  I go down to my lobby to pick up the mail and overhear two older women talking.  “I agree,” says the mid-60ish woman.  “I think that’s too old.  I remember when I had my kids, I was in my 20’s and exhausted all the time.”  The 70 plus woman agrees.  The first woman continues.  “I mean, she’s almost 42.  I can’t imagine how she’s going to do this.”

I can’t resist.  Stringy hair and all, I walk over to them.  “I couldn't help but overhear, “ I begin.  (Alexander would be horrified at my audacity.  “You know someone who’s having a baby at 42?  I had my son at 41, and I think he keeps me young.”  The first woman turns to me and says, “You look about 30,” (obviously she is not looking closely).  “I’m 60,“ I tell her, “and have an 18 year old who is leaving for college in the fall.”  (I’m still getting used to saying these words).  She acts astounded.  “Honestly, you don’t look anywhere near 60,” she says. 

My little trip downstairs to pick up mail becomes another reason to be grateful.  I’m lucky to have:
  • a great kid who keeps me thinking young (he’d disagree);
  • weight-watchers to keep me thin (they’d agree); and
  • good genes to make it all a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment