Thursday, November 24, 2011

another thanksgiving on the cape (lyn)

My mom is hosting Thanksgiving again.  All 13 of us are there-Val, Abbey and their 3 boys, Jean, Jim and their 2 kids, Alexander and I, and my mom and dad.  It’s the only time of year that we all get together.  Like Thanksgivings past, we always:
  • Appreciate the person who prepares and cooks the turkey (my mom) as well as the one who carves it (this year it is Valerie who proves herself to be very capable in this role).
  • Start the meal with a prayer by either Jim or my dad; this year’s is given by my dad.
  • Have as the centerpiece a paper turkey that Jason (who is now 29) made when he was about five.
  • Enjoy my mom’s famous stuffing from a recipe passed down from her mother.
  • Laugh at Adam's full plate, including (always) the turkey leg.
  • Have homemade pie for dessert.
  • Eat around three, finish around five, and feel like it’s ten (it’s much darker on the Cape at five than it is probably anywhere else).
  • Marvel at Adam’s ability to eat a second meal around eight, as if the previous one never happened.

 It’s without a doubt the best holiday of the year.  Lots of good food, many many laughs, and recognition for all we have to be grateful for.



No comments:

Post a Comment