Wednesday, November 23, 2011

a wednesday in boston (lyn)

No voice and bad weather don’t get in the way of having a good day.

I can’t talk on the phone as my voice has all but disappeared.  When I call Alexander, I need to whisper for him to understand me.  My mother is optimistic because she does not want me sick for Thanksgiving.  When I speak to her, she says, “You sound better today,” even though I clearly sound worse. 

The weather is bleak; a cold rain fills the day.  Hair appointments, eating, and shopping-without-buying are pretty much all M and I do.  We are even too busy to stop for lunch, but by four we are starving.  We are in a mall and find a little stand that serves all-fruit smoothies. But then we pass a Lindt Chocolate Shop where free samples are being handed out.  I try an orange-filled dark chocolate truffle and then buy half a pound. 

We have dinner at Legal Sea Foods and I order what I always do there--- baked stuff shrimp.  What starts as a leisurely dinner ends in a rush. Alexander’s bus from Ithaca arrives earlier than expected.  So much for the anticipated holiday traffic.

We get a chicken Caesar salad to go, pick up Alexander and drive back to M’s house.  After Alexander finishes eating, and just as M and I and T and Harrison are about to crash, Alexander asks, “So, what do you want to do now?”  

Ah, to be in college where life begins while most of the world sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment