Saturday, March 10, 2012

making a new soup (lyn)

I’m reading People Magazine and come across a tomato-fennel soup recipe from, of all people, Lady Gaga.  While it's hard to picture Lady Gaga aproned in a kitchen, I decide to make her soup anyway.  Here’s the recipe:


I go to the grocery store and end up spending about $20.  This includes a little basil tree, since it's the same price, and so much cuter, than a bag of fresh basil.  I buy some fennel for (I think) the first time in my life, and a big bag of celery.  Why does no one sell individual stalks? 

I follow the recipe but double the tomatoes, celery, chicken broth, garlic, fresh basil and parsley.  While making it, I’m reminded again of how much I love my little emulsifier, something every kitchen needs.  And it’s only $30.


I had doubled the recipe because (a) I have the ingredients, (b) what would I ever do with half a box of chopped tomatoes, and (c) Robyn likes soup so I could give some to her.  But then I let the soup simmer too long, and in the end, I’m left with only four servings, enough for the week.


Surprisingly the resulting soup looks a lot like the picture, which is a departure from my usual recipes.   And, it’s really good.  Thank you Lady Gaga.  Now I like more than just your music.


No comments:

Post a Comment