Tuesday, March 27, 2012

must-have cosmetics (lyn)

Like most people, I have tons of makeup, even though I wear little.  I remember being home last summer and my mom saying, “Why don’t you put on a little make-up?”  That, after I already had.  My sister is always telling me that mascara is a must “at our age.”  I like a natural look, some might say too natural. 

Over time, I have accumulated all different types of blushes, lipsticks, eye pencils, primers, eye shadows (which I rarely wear), and the can't-live-without specialty items.

I have clear plastic boxes, neatly labeled:  Face, Hair, Lips-Eyes-Cheeks, and Body.  They are filled with cosmetics (many unopened) I think I might someday use, but probably won't.    But there are some items I love.  Watching my weight takes care of part of me; the other part is helped with cosmetics.  So I thought I’d make a short list of my few must-haves.

Face
  • Le Mer crème moisturizer.   It’s expensive but worth the money. 
  • Kate Somerville Quench. Goes on under makeup, feels great, and adds moisture without feeling greasy.
  •  Sarah McNamara’s Miracle Skin Transformer.   I recently discovered this item after watching one of those beauty segments on The Today Show.  It’s described as “an antioxidant hydrating tinted skin enhancer with SPF 20.”   It feels great going on, and provides the perfect amount of coverage.  I'll risk sounding ridiculous and say it really is transforming.
Eye/Eye Area
  • Colorscience My Favorite Eye Cream-that’s its name, and its name fits.  The product is a yellowish cream for under the eyes.   It brightens my face, and is mineral-based (like all the company’s products).  
  • Giorgio Armani's Eyes to Kill mascara.  It’s not clumpy, and looks natural on.  I don’t like a heavy-feeling mascara, and this is lightweight but does the job.
Lip
  • Terry Lip Baum.  I have both the little tub (to keep next to my bed) and the wand to throw in my purse.  Love the way it feels, and it really works.
  • Benefit’s Benetint Lip Balm.  Saw Shari wearing it last week and loved it. Not only does it give a nice red tint to my lips,  it’s not sticky at all.
Hair
  • Pequi Oil Treatment by Coutour Colour.  This is another product I heard about on The Today Show. It’s a light oil that makes hair behave and shine.
Perfume
  • Jo Malone Cologne in Grapefruit.  In 2005, the Smell and Taste Institute in Chicago conducted a study that concluded as follows: The scent of grapefruit remarkably changed men's perceptions. When male volunteers were asked to write down how old the woman with grapefruit odor was, the age was considerably less than the women's actual ages.  This sold me.
So these are mine.  Would love to hear about yours.  Write and tell me.



No comments:

Post a Comment