Friday, March 23, 2012

a new kind of problem (lyn)

Wake up late and hear no movement coming from Alexander’s room.  It’s 8:40 and he needs to be at work by 9.  How does this child manage when I’m not around?  I wake him and he’s out the door in minutes.  Seems he can move quickly when he has to.  This comes as a surprise to me, as I haven’t seen him in action for ages. 

Drink a couple of cups of coffee, and skip breakfast.  Around two, still haven’t eaten, and am starving.  Make a quick little salad, and am not satisfied.  Grab some cashews after and probably ruin my plan for a light lunch. 

Go to the post office to mail a small package.  The line is long and not moving.  Every customer is taking forever.  Are these people re-negotiating their mortgages?  The scruffy guy in front of me takes on the role as leader, and turns to the growing line behind me to explain what is going on.  “The problem,” he announces, “is with the customers.  They are not prepared.  They don’t know what they want to do.  They haven’t filled out the proper forms.  They don’t know the difference between regular mail and priority mail.”  He gets no response.  He pauses and adds,  “These are uptown problems, man.”  Hmmm.  I come home and debate between having a cookie or a clementine.  Another uptown problem?



No comments:

Post a Comment