Thursday, July 14, 2011

dear diary (m)

If I were to track what I ate and enter it into a diary, here's what today would look like:

Dear Diary,

Today was Harrison's first event of the competition. He and I got up around 9 a.m. and went down to the breakfast "buffet" at this hotel. I was very mindful of my choices, trying to stay on plan. I walked around the buffet a couple of times. I passed bacon, hash browns, bagels, cream cheese, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal and brown sugar. I settled on some scrambled eggs and cantaloupe. The eggs were ridiculously salty so I didn't finish them. I ate a lot of cantaloupe which, on the Points Plus program, is considered to be a free food. You would have been so proud of me, Diary.

I went back to the room and did my physical therapy exercises on the new floor mat I bought at Marshall's here on Monday night. I think the warm weather agrees with my arthritis as my knees feel better. Is this why old people with crippling arthritis move to Arizona? I sure hope I don't have to move there someday. I don't even play golf!

Anyway, Diary, I took Harrison to practice but got lost on the way. My kid thinks I'm an idiot with no sense of direction. I can't argue with him on that front. I dropped him off and went in to sign him up for more practice ice for tomorrow. When I was in the office with the lady who books the practice ice, there was a whole bowl of candy. M&M's (plain and peanut, Kit Kats, and Milky Ways)...all my favorites. You'd be so proud of me, Diary, as I only took a wintergreen mint (that's because I inadvertently ate a whole clove of garlic at Bertucci's last night with my grilled Tuscan vegetables. Who grills garlic?)

At one p.m., Harrison finished his practice and the coach told him to go back to the hotel to rest before the competition. I used my OnStar navigation device to find my way back as everything looks the same to me around this area.

I dropped Harrison off at the hotel and went to get gas and cash from the ATM. My stomach was rumbling but all I saw were TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesdays, PF Changs, Carraba's and places like that. Then I saw a Dunkin' Donuts. I got an unsweetened ice tea and an egg and cheese wrap. Can you believe 6 whole points for that lousy wrap? I was hungrier after I ate it.

I brought Harrison back to the rink for his event. He wasn't nervous at all, but my stomach was churning. Maybe it was nerves, maybe it was hunger. All I know was that I was looking forward to an early dinner!

But, Harrison had other plans for me. After his event, he wanted to watch a friend skate...two friends skate. Then he wanted to go back to the hotel to change for dinner. I dropped him off. By now, it's 6 p.m. and I'm running on cantaloupe and an egg/cheese wrap. I'm cranky.

I saw a Fresh Market. You would love it here, Diary. Think Whole Foods on steroids! Just like a European market. Fresh produces, exotic spices, cheeses, yoghourts (that's the European way of spelling them). And barrels of nuts. Oh, and candy. I got a couple of little bags of candy...dark chocolate-covered raisins, honey roasted peanuts, dark chocolate covered malt balls. For Harrison.

Diary, I'm so ashamed to tell you this, but I ate all the candy before I picked Harrison back up at the hotel. I brought him back to the rink to watch his girlfriend skate. I started to feel sick to my stomach from all the candy.

After his girlfriend skated, Harrison told me we had to take 4 kids out to dinner as the coach who was taking care of the girls was going to dinner with her daughter. I had a headache from all the sugar and was in a bitchy mood. I dropped the kids off at Bertucci's and sat in the car in the parking lot having eater's remorse. A nice mother called me to go to dinner with her but I was punishing myself for eating $8.00 worth of candy and nuts. By the way, Diary, can you believe how much they charge for those loose candies and nuts?

Instead of going out with people and being sociable, I went into the HomeGoods/Marshall's here and bought wrought iron planters for the cemetery, two lamps for my screened porch, body butter for my legs, ceramic plates to put my toiletries on for the master bathroom and a bike helmet for the guy who drives the Zamboni at the rink back home since we are giving him T's old bike.  It cost over $200 for all this crap that I didn't think I even needed.

Anyway, picked the kids up at Bertucci's and drove them back to their hotel on the other side of town.

Got into my hotel and had a bottle of water and Tums.

Diary, I hope to do better tomorrow.


  1. Anonymous7:46 AM EDT

    Don't beat yourself up. One day at a time. I'm proud of you! S

  2. Anonymous9:02 AM EDT

    Totally agree with S! H