Thursday, July 7, 2011

guilty pleasures (m)

I have a confession to make:  I like romance novels. 

I first started reading them about 15 years ago when I read a Vanity Fair article about Vera Wang.  She likes them, too.  I even read some of her favorite authors.  Mostly of the British Regency genre. They are addictive. 

The only problem is that the rest of the world looks upon them--and, by association, me--unfavorably.  I once went to Barnes and Noble to load up before a trip and, when I asked one of the staff people where they kept the romance novels, he sniffed, "Back row, bottom shelf".  Subtle like a sledgehammer.

As I stooped to pick up some books, I thought to myself even that misfit clerk thinks you're pathetic.

Somehow, someone at the skating rink found out about my secret addiction.

About 5 weeks ago, I walked into the rink and the woman behind the counter said, "Stefani wants to talk to you." I asked who Stefani was and the woman pointed to this mother, sitting by herself.  I had seen this mother many, many times.  I was intriqued by her, always by herself, always on her computer.  She has long, thin blonde hair and pale, pale skin.  She looks like she hasn't seen daylight in years.  I heard she was an author of some sort.

I walk up to her and say, "Hi, you are looking for me?"

Yes.  I understand you like romance novels.
"Uh, okay.  Who told you that?" (better yet, whom did I tell?)
Doesn't matter.  I have to ask you for a favor.
"Uh, uh, okaay.  How can I help you?"
I need you to be a judge in a writing competition for new romance novelists.
"You're kidding me.  I can't be a judge for that.  I'm just a casual reader."
No, you'd be perfect (She didn't say why.  I'm thinking it's because I can read).  All you have to do is read 5 books and fill out a questionnaire.
"That's it?"
That's it.


The next day, Stefani left an unmarked manilla envelope at the rink and instructed the desk manager to give it to me.  Inside was a mother-lode of new releases:

Skylar's Outlaw--The only thing he's stolen is her heart!
Magnate's Mistress--Accidentally pregnant!
Desire-His Black Sheep Bride ( I started this first thinking it was an interracial thing...wrong)
The Officer's Girl
Boardroom Rivals, Bedroom Fireworks!

I read them in less than a week.  They are silly, addictive little things.

The best part is that they have Zero Points and help pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment