Monday, July 18, 2011

musings (m)

Spent 3 hours behind an ironing board today.  The joys of coming home to a room full of laundry.  To pass the time and break the tedium, I chew sugarless bubble gum, direct a fan at my face, and blast the radio.  Even Michael Jackson's songs can't keep me motivated.

Harrison comes home at 2:30 p.m. and asks to switch from the radio to the television.  He finds some lame sitcom, the one with Jim Belushi and the blond woman.  I don't know the name of this show, but I've seen it before.

I tell him to change the channel and we catch a glimpse of Kevin James who is married to the cute little brunette.

Then it hits me.  Why are all these chubby losers married to such pretty women who seem to have their acts together?  It's not just that they are fat; these guys are stuck in adolescence and have dead-end jobs.  Yet, these women are portrayed as adoring wives.

I try to think of the reverse situation. Do I know of any shows where the wife is overweight and the husband attractive?  None come to mind.  There's Roseanne, but she's married to that mess, played by John Goodman whose pants sit below his waist and, I imagine,  whose butt crack shows when he bends over to get a beer out of the fridge.

So here's the question: why are women more accepting of physical imperfections in their men, especially when it comes to weight?

No comments:

Post a Comment