Saturday, October 15, 2011

whole foods (lyn)

I shop here rarely as there isn’t one nearby.  But there is one in Union Square, where I happen to be with some time to kill. 

It’s the most socially relevant grocery store I have ever been in.  Everything about it is well-planned and green.  The foods boast “all natural” on their labels.  The color-coated checkout lines insure fairness (it doesn’t matter what line you are in, an automated sign alternates the first person from each line to one of 35 or so cashiers).  You never have to wait long, despite the crowds.

I buy a bottle of an “earth friendly product” called Fruit and Vegetable Wash.  It promises to “effectively remove soil, dirt, wax and other contaminants.”  I guess water alone isn’t good enough.  Then I find a small bottle of Balsamic Dressing that says things on it like health starts here, low sodium, no oil, and even, a breakthrough new approach to eating smart and choosing right.  I wonder if it cures cancer too?  And finally, I buy some certified organic vanilla-cranberry granola.  Does that mean if it isn’t certified it’s not really organic?

After shopping (and feeling healthy just from ready the labels) I decide to grab a quick lunch at the inviting-looking salad bar.  I carefully choose items of zero points (baby spinach, cucumbers, peas, tomatoes, a sprinkle of almonds) and the balsamic-no-oil-dressing.  I pay and go upstairs to eat.  The up escalator is stationary and the down escalator is working.  I assume this is a deliberate attempt to get people to climb stairs.

I eat my healthy salad and then go to deposit the trash.  I have four options:

Compost
Food, napkins, paper cups, salad bar containers

Clean bottles and cans only

Plastic forks, spoons and knives only

Trash
Landfill

I don’t know the difference between compost and landfill trash so I just guess and hope I made the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment