Wednesday, September 8, 2010

a new year and a week off (lyn)

Rosh Hashana begins tonight.  Everyone goes to (my sister) Valerie’s for dinner, but we don’t.  Alexander has football practice and doesn’t get home until almost 7.  SInce my sister lives in Long Island, we’d have made it maybe in time for dessert.

I spend the day getting ready for the holidays.  Go to Weight Watchers (120 pounds).  Have hair cut and colored.  Get a manicure and pedicure.  Buy a babka to bring to Jill’s (valerie's sister-in-law) tomorrow.  And motivate Alexander (new year starting, let’s start fresh) to finish his essays for the Common Application and Questbridge (at least enough to send to his college advisor for review).  

He's become a collector of college apparel.  Here he is, jokingly attired in a Princeton hat (he's not applying, but we got it when his cousin was a student there), Penn shorts (a school he loves but is doubtful of getting into), and a Cornell shirt (his only concern there is class size).  Like every mother, I just want him to go to a school where he'll be happy.  So here's my collegiate son.


In anticipation of a big eating week with complicated foods that make point-assignment challenging (Rosh Hashanah, the big Y reunion, and visiting my other sister, Jean, who’s an amazing cook) I decide to not track this week (my 52nd week on Weight Watchers).

I feel liberated.

No comments:

Post a Comment