Wednesday, September 8, 2010

too much of a good thing (m)

Harrison invited a few skating friends over on Saturday night.  One of them, D, is a very talented athlete who is captivating to watch.  A year ago, she was getting pretty chunky, the result of lots of partying and too many brownies.  Her coaches and many of us think she has potential to go to the Olympics someday.  Someone must have flipped a switch in her brain because she stopped the partying, started eating right and works out like a fiend (an hour on the elliptical plus 3 hours on ice).

Now, I fear, she's too thin.  When she eats, it typically is nothing but fruit and maybe some nuts.

When Harrison told me she was coming over, I told him to point out all the options available to her--fruit, veggies, Fiber One muffins, Vita Muffin Tops, WW ice cream or snack bars, Kashi bars.  The kids ordered pizza and I watched (subtly, I hope) as she nibbled on pineapple.

At 12:30 a.m., the kids came down for ice cream.  The boys devoured Edy's Strawberry ice cream; one of the other girls had frozen yogurt and D had some more pineapple.

Harrison invited the girls to sleep over since they live an hour away.  They slept in the guest room/den above the garage (my mother went up to clean the room not knowing they were there and quickly retreated sputtering, "this place is like a brothel").

When the girls came down to the kitchen for breakfast, my husband had a spread for them--bagels, cream cheese, fruit, coffee and juice.  I offered to make egg white omelets/scrambled eggs and yogurt parfaits.

D finished the pineapple and drank coffee, black.  Her pants were hanging off her.

D's mother has been approached by another mother (who had an eating disorder when she was young).  D's mother says there is no issue.  She's just keeping herself thin so the jumps will be easier.

I don't know about that.  The real issue I see is that the lights have gone out in her eyes. 

It's getting scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment