Monday, September 13, 2010

first meeting of the new school year (lyn)

This year, for the first time, our athletic department decides to host a meeting for every sport at the start of the season.  This is a first, and as a result I feel compelled to attend.  That, and the fact that the letter about the meeting is tagged “mandatory.” 

Alexander is playing football again and so, I attend the football meeting.  I get to the room where the meeting is being held, about five minutes early.  All the lights in the room are off and no one is present.  Not an auspicious start.  I go up to the cafeteria that is in the same building as the meeting, and instead of seeing anyone I know, I see a spread of leftover sandwiches and salads and desserts.  I had thought I’d eat after the meeting but I’ve arrived starving.  I grab a bottle of water and a small half sandwich.  Since I’m not tracking this week, I don’t have to guess at the number of points, though I think not many. 

I return to the meeting room just as the coach is showing up.   It is sparsely attended.  Maybe six parents out of a small team of twenty-seven are there.   

The hour-long meeting is a total waste of time.  We review the code of conduct which basically says to act appropriately at all games.  Really?  We talk about the importance of attending every practice.  We know this too.  We learn that there will be no mandatory requirement to buy a package of non-playing team clothes (compared to last year’s $150 required purchase that arrived in early January, after the season was long over).  And finally, we learn that the coaches and players all really appreciate the parent-provided buffet spreads at the end of every home game.

My friends who go to the soccer meetings have a similar experience.  I’m back in the city by 8, and famished.  I eat a slice of pizza and two small pieces of jelly roll for dessert and wish I’d been home all evening, having a nice relaxing dinner (of something healthier than what I ate) with my son.  

No comments:

Post a Comment