Saturday, September 11, 2010

the Y reunion (lyn)

In short, the Y reunion is a major success.  Over 400 people show up, and everyone looks great.  As someone points out, “People who don’t look good don’t’ come.”

Since I barely eat all day, I’m oblivious to what I put in my mouth.  I’m so excited to see people I haven’t since the late 60’s-early 70’s that the food there is inconsequential.  I find the evening amazingly entertaining and uplifting. 

My old friends Ellen (and her husband Mark), Marcie and Cheryl (a former roommate) are there and really, they have barely changed.  Others, too, have aged remarkably well.  One has changed from a brunette to a bright blond with seven-inch nails, but is fit and friendly, same as always.  I see an old boyfriend from the mid-80’s who tells me he came for only one reason---to see me.  I am truly flattered.  But then he makes my night by adding, “You were pretty in high school, good-looking after college, but now you’re a f**cking 10."

Here are a couple of pictures.  One of me alone, in a clingy black dress I bought at Maxwell’s last month, and another with Marcie (left) and Ellen (middle).




The only disappointment of the evening is seeing my uncle whom I haven’t seen in many years.  He is  still angry with my parents over a business dispute that is decades old.  I go to give him a hug and he pretends not to know me.  We were once very close.  I don’t understand holding on to anger for so long. 

There are old pictures everywhere and articles about the Y’s history.  Paul Fireman (a Brockton native and the person responsible for Reebok’s existence in the US) and Kenny Feinberg (another proud Brocktonian who was Obama’s pay czar until yesterday) speak about the town’s history, and the importance of the Y in building community.  At the end of Feinberg’s speech, for the first time, maybe ever, I am proud of my roots.

It is a night of celebration, remembering, and renewed friendships.  I’m so happy it was this year and not last.  Had it been, I would have been a no-show.

No comments:

Post a Comment