Thursday, September 9, 2010

rosh hashana services (lyn)

Growing up, the big decision for Rosh Hashana was what to wear.  Everyone liked to show off their new fall clothes.  And, everyone liked to talk about everyone else’s new fall clothes.  I remember last year squishing into some outfit that didn’t look good at all.  Today is different.  I pull out a black dress that I last wore to a friend’s engagement party in June of 1999.  I’ve always loved this dress.  It has a timeless design.  It’s made by Calivn Klein of a silky jersey material and it just sort of hugs the body.  It’s slinky-fitting and feels good on.  (My shoes, however, don’t, and I wonder if  I’ll be spending the rest of my life in either Ugg boots or Naot sandals). 

Here’s me in 1999:


 And today, in the same dress.


Alexander and I get to temple around 10.  It’s already crowded and we can’t find two seats together.  We are lucky to find two seats at all. 

I look at him and think that this may be the last time together for the holidays.  At least for a while.  Alexander went to Hebrew School for six years.  He was Bar Mitzvahed.  He can read Hebrew.  He is Jewish.  As we are leaving temple we bump into one of his classmates.  We talk a bit and before we part Alexander asks, “So, are you having your Seder at home tonight?”

Makes me wonder about the value of that Hebrew School education!

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious (about asking about the seder). In contrast, I caught my 8 -year old Chinese daughter mumbling the blessing before her meal in Hebrew last night before dinner :-))

    Vivien

    ReplyDelete