Wednesday, September 15, 2010

a very nice day (lyn)

This day starts and ends beautifully.

I haven’t tracked all week.  I’ve eaten chocolate cake and multiple slices of pizza.  Even a big blueberry muffin.  And still, I’m only up point two pounds.

Later, I meet a friend to go with her to an important doctor’s appointment.  The news is all good. 

She generously offers to take me out to dinner.  It’s only five o’clock, but it doesn’t matter.  We are ready to eat, and even to drink (an oddity for me).  We choose Le Magnifique.   The night is cool and breezy, and we decide to eat outside.

We order drinks and decide on kobe burgers and fries for dinner.  (I have six days ahead of me to eat smartly).  Within a few minutes, we are in conversation with the two adorable men next to us.  Both are British.  One is 41, the other 52.  Both are educated, accomplished, engaging, and fun.  Unfortunately, the older of the two is happily married with two kids and a wife who has a very powerful job.  He is breathtakingly charming.

I have two Cosmopolitans; my friend has more.  She is the perfect conversationalist.  In fact, perhaps because of the liquor, she is more revealing of herself than she typically is, and captivates the two men with her wit and humor.  Two more people join our new friends, one is a beautiful but unfriendly woman carrying a tiny dog in her purse and the other is a friend from England who has a major job with a major auction house.  Our dinner lasts almost three hours.

It’s a nice New York day.

No comments:

Post a Comment