Friday, September 10, 2010

going to new york (m)

Skating competition in New York this weekend.  Typically, the September competition is held in Providence, Rhode Island but, this time, the coaches want their kids to do the NYC one

We leave on Thursday.  The trip begins auspiciously as I almost hit Michele Kwan's car in the parking lot of the skating club when I go to pick up H and his friend.  She looks up with a scowl.

Get inside the club and some of the parents ask me how I am going.  "By car," I say.  "No, no...which roads are you taking?" they ask.  I HATE discussing directions with this group because they all have different ways to go and "tips" to offer...avoid the George Washington Bridge, take the Saw Mill, don't take the Saw Mill, take the Henry Hudson...why would you ever take the Merritt, etc.    I have a set of directions and an alternate set in case we hit bad traffic.  I don't need four sets of directions.

The ride to NYC is uneventful.  We leave Thursday afternoon on Rosh Hashanah.  Traffic is light.  I pack snacks for Harrison and his friend and have my own little bag of strawberries and an apple.  I am fine with that until Connecticut.  The smell of Smart Food popcorn (a vomitous odor), pretzels and cheddar cheese flavored Chex Mix are overwhelming.  I have a couple of Dots but they don't make a dent.

I love looking at the GPS mileage guage on the drive.  I love seeing the numbers go down...just like on a scale when you stick to your diet.  When we run into traffic on the Merritt (why did I take the Merritt??), the car barely moves and the mileage countdown slows to a stop...just like on a scale when you stop exercising.

I am at a point where I can switch to another road (Saw Mill Expressway).  I take the detour.  No traffic, but the detour causes the mileage to go UP....just like on a scale when you go off the plan.

I decide at this point that I must be hungry since everything becomes a diet metaphor.  I realize I haven't had lunch but it is too late to stop.

Get to NYC by 6:30 p.m.  Our hotel is on the West Side as the skating event is being held at Chelsea Piers.  Not a place I would choose on my own, but it is in the middle of the flower district so at least there are some beautiful flowers to look at in the windows.

One of the parents asks a fellow hotel guest for a recommendation for dinner.  The guest raves about this Greek restaurant on 8th Ave called Uncle Nick's.  Because it is Rosh Hashanah, the place is relatively empty.  The food is excellent and the prices are reasonable.  I have a swordfish kabob and four of us split a small Greek salad.  The hot pita bread is fresh.  For dessert, four of us split a Greek yogurt drizzled with honey and sprinkled with whole walnuts.  Very satsifying and healthy (if not altogether low in points).  Make a note to go back to Uncle Nick's.

Get back to my room and feel like putting on my nightgown and reading a book.  Two skaters show up at the door to watch Jersey Shore with Harrison.  I go down to the lobby with my book.

Have a cup of green tea and start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Can't concentrate with all the noise.  Switch to People magazine and read about Michael Douglas.

Go back to the room at 11:30 and fall dead asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment