Saturday, September 4, 2010

a visit to the apple store (lyn)

Suddenly I can no longer open any Word documents.  I can open Excel.  I can open Power Point.  Just not Word.  It’s not a virus because I can open Word under a different user name.  And, I can open Word documents using Apple’s program called Pages.  So after an unproductive call with Apple, I schedule an appointment with the Apple store on Fifth.
My appointment is for 1:30 and I barely have time to eat.  Where did the morning go?  I grab a bag of red grapes and am out the door.  
I get to Apple and must have missed the full page ad in The New York Times that read:  TODAY ONLY.  GIGANTIC SALE.  90% OFF EVERYTHING.  At least that’s how it appears when I get to the store.
I wait 30 minutes.  They are running late.  Finally, my name is called and Ryan helps me.  He goes into folders I don’t dare open.  He erases things I never new existed.  He adds programs he thinks will help.  He does all he can think to do.  At the end of about 30 minutes he concludes that he cannot fix my problem.  (And this is at the Genius Bar!!!). The options he presents me with are all horrible.
    1.   Call Microsoft.  (is he kidding?).
    2.   Rename my Library, which means losing all my Mail (no way I’m doing this).
    3.   Pay a fee to someone and see if they can fix it;  Apple doesn’t cover Software problems (which I don’t think this is).
    4. Buy the new version of Office (which I’ve already done), install that, and hope for the best.
The new version arrives Friday.  Even though I’m going to Temple on Thursday and may be tempted, I won’t abuse Rosh Hashanah by praying for a solution to my Word problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment